In his role as Managing Director, Mike leads the Castlerock Consulting group. He advises governments and companies on both operational and strategic matters, principally in the energy and infrastructure sectors. His areas of expertise within these sectors span government policy, corporate strategy & restructuring, institutional development, investment project preparation, regulatory development, procurement support, and pricing studies. In the course of these assignments, Mike has led multidisciplinary project teams of up to 20 consultants. During his 25+ years of experience he has worked in more than two dozen countries around the world, including Africa, North America, Eastern Europe, the Middle East and Asia. From 1995 to 2002 he was resident in Jakarta, Indonesia, and since that time has continued to work throughout Asia.
Examples of his experience include:
- Preparation of a USD 250 million ADB power sector loan to an Indian state.
- Development of a framework for procurement of new thermal generation build-own-transfer (BOT) projects in Vietnam, integration of these projects into the planned power market, and improved coordination between the gas and power sectors.
- Design and establishment of public-private partnership unit within the Government of Indonesia.
- Formulation of detailed strategy and plans for the corporatization and restructuring of the Bangladesh Power Development Board as a holding company.
- Regulatory strengthening of power sector agencies in Indonesia and the Philippines.
- Project preparation and strategic advisory services for toll roads, a rail project, and geothermal power development in Indonesia.